Some cookies collect information about browsing and purchasing behaviour when you access our websites via the same computer or device. This includes information about pages viewed, products purchased and your journey around a website. All data passed by cookies is anonymous and will never contain individual detail such as your name, address, telephone number or payment information but may contain our customer reference number that is unique to you. For more detailed information about how cookies work, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Cookies are used (after your consent) with our marketing partners to present you with appropriate offers and advertising as you browse other sites on the internet, based on your browsing activity while on our site. Cookies also allow us to work alongside our web analytics partner, Google Analytics, to see how you like to use our website, which pages or special functions you prefer and help us to make them better. We may match the data we capture through cookies with personal data that we already hold about you to better understand you. This helps us to continually improve the relevance of our promotional communications, your shopping experience and our products and services. The main purposes for which cookies are used are:
- For functional purposes essential to effective operation of our websites, particularly in relation to online transactions, site navigation and preferences.
- For marketing and advertising, particularly web banner advertisements and targeted updates through digital channels and social media.
- To enable us to collect information about your browsing and shopping behaviour, helping us to improve your shopping experience and to monitor performance.
There are two types of cookie that may be used during your visit to our site:
- Session cookies
- Session cookies are deleted after each visit to our site. For example, when you are browsing our site, it will remember you for the duration of your visit, but the cookie will be removed from your computer as soon as you close down your internet browser. Session cookies allow you to add an item to the basket and then move through the checkout. Disallowing these cookies via your web browser will mean you are unable to place an order on this site.
- Persistent cookies
- Persistent cookies remember you for a set period of time, allowing previously viewed products to be displayed the next time you visit our site and whether you were logged into your account.
Turning Off And Deleting Cookies
Most web browsers will provide the option to turn off or disallow cookies. How you do this depends on the web browser you are using. Instructions for disabling cookies can usually be found in the browser’s ‘Help’ menu. Note that in common with most other transactional websites, if you only disable third party cookies, you will not be prevented from making purchases on our websites but refusing the cookies we have used via your web browser will mean that you are unable to make a transactional purchase on our website. You may also find that the functionality of many other websites and services will be affected. Cookies can be deleted using your web browser. However, unless they are disallowed they will be re-applied the next time you visit a website.
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How you can do this will depend on the browser you use. Additionally, some browsers (such as Firefox) offer automatic third party tracking cookie blocking and browser extensions for enhanced protections. Further details on how to disable cookies for the most popular desktop browsers are set out here (these may vary depending on operating system and browser version)[link]:
- For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Choose the menu “Tools” then “Internet Options”
- Click on the “Privacy” tab
- Select “Advanced”
- Choose the appropriate settings
- For Google Chrome:
- Choose “Settings” and click on “Advanced”
- Under “Privacy and Security” click “Content Settings”
- Click “Cookies”
- For Safari:
- Choose Preferences > Privacy
- Click on “Block all cookies”
- For Mozilla firefox:
- Click on the menu icon then select “Options”
- Click on the icon “Privacy & Security”
- Find the menu “cookie” and select the relevant options
- Firefox also blocks all third party tracking cookies by default.
- If you desire enhanced protection via Firefox, you can take advantage of Firefox’s full tracker blocking capabilities by setting your Enhanced Tracking Protection mode to Strict to help block trackers like fingerprints.
- If you want to block Facebook trackers, specifically, you can download Firefox “Facebook container” a free browser extension that blocks Facebook from tracking your movements across the web when you are logged in.
- For Opera 6.0 and further:
- Choose the menu icon and select “Settings”
- Click on “Privacy & Security”
- Choose the appropriate settings