Home > Emergency Supply

Emergency Supply

Emergency Supply Medicine

In case of an emergency, you must contact your prescriber immediately to arrange a prescription. If for any reason this is not possible, please visit your nearest PCG Pharmacy where we might be able to dispense the medicine you need (subject to certain conditions).

You must have been prescribed the medicine before by a doctor, dentist, independent nurse prescriber, independent optometrist prescriber or other healthcare professional with prescribing authority who is registered in the UK. In addition to this, the pharmacist:

  • will usually need to see you face-to-face
  • must agree that you need the medicine immediately
  • will usually need evidence that you have been prescribed that medicine before
  • must be satisfied with the dose that is most appropriate for you to take

The pharmacist may provide an emergency supply of up to 30 days' treatment for most prescription medicines, with these exceptions:

  • insulin, an ointment, a cream or an asthma inhaler – the smallest pack size
  • the contraceptive pill – a full treatment cycle
  • liquid oral antibiotics – the smallest quantity to provide a full course of treatment
  • permitted controlled medicines (controlled drugs) – up to five days' treatment. Permitted controlled medicines include a very limited range of medicines, such as those for epilepsy (phenobarbital). Many commonly use controlled medicines such as morphine or diamorphine can't be supplied by a pharmacist without a prescription in an emergency.

Is it an NHS service?

No. Supplying medicine in an emergency is a private service that is not funded by the NHS, meaning pharmacists can charge for it. The charge will vary depending on the medicine and the pharmacist's policy.

Visitors to the UK

If you are a visitor to the UK, you may be able to get an emergency supply of medicine from PCG

  • At your request - if there is evidence that a doctor or dentist registered in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland has prescribed the medicine for you before at the request of a doctor or dentist registered in the EEA or Switzerland. Or if you have a valid prescription from a doctor or dentist registered in the EEA or Switzerland

Get Appointment